Our Travel House

Our Travel House
SEE THE USA

Monday, December 22, 2014

To shroud or not shroud ??

Fan shroud or no fan shroud ??

Saturday, 12-22-14--- I've been debateing with myself about the fan shroud we left off when we put the engine back together. I figured it'd be easier to see if anything was leaking and would allow me access to tighten up anything. Last evening I fired up the all powerful “new to us” 454. It runs really well. I let her run about 45 minutes and watched the temperature guage. When we drove the rig home the other day it maintained a normal temperature. Hmmm..climbing past normal and it kept going up. Of coarse, now, there was no air flowing like when you are driving. And the temp. kepy climbing up !! NOT good. Shut 'er down. She was hot to the point of boiling into the overflow bucket. It took about a ½ hr to cool off.
Got on the internet to educate me...Many hours later I was still befuddled. Opinions varied from no shroud to gotta have it. Now what ?? I did see one forum that mentioned the distance between the fan and radiator..Now that makes sense. Our rig has about 12” there and the theory was the air from the engine compartment would recirculate instaed of pulling air thru the radiator.
I decided the shroud needed to be on. So I retrieved it from the tool trailer. This shroud is in 2 pieces and after I looked at the area to install it I decided to remove the staples holding it together horizontally and will bolt the 1/2s together after they're in place. Another part of my internet education says the fan blades must be removed to enable reinsertion from the top and from inside via the doghouse. ( have I lost ya yet?)
Gonna take a lot of contortions. But not by me !! I decided to see if my mechanic, Robert, was available and he was..YAHOO!!
He was here within an hour and had it all done in 1 hour. Ya gotta love it !! I'd abeen ( is that a word?? LOL) all afternoon and sore in the AM !
We also changed the thermostat to a fail safe 165F one. Had a 180F in it and Robert said we should lower the temperature range. The fail safe feature costs a bit more but if the thermosat fails it will be open instead of closed. That way we won't boil. Good idea!
Engine got fired up again and we let 'er run for quite awhile. Definately a big difference and a lower temperature. Checked for leaks and found a tiny leak at an oil fitting on the new oil cooler hose which stopped after a tweak.
I fired up again in a few hours and all is well...PHEwwww!
We will try a run into town tomorrow and if all is well I'll dump the radiator water and add the antifreeze. I haven't wanted to find a leak of antifreeze. I'm glad all this is done today as the weather guessers are calling for rain over the next few days. No FUN working in rain.
Shopping tomorrow for the RV Park dinner on Christmas.
Heather and I sincerely hope all our friends and blog followers have a wonderful and Holy Christmas !!

REMEMBER, LIVE YOUR DREAMS AS TIME GOES BY QUICKLY !!

Charlie & Heather

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, you need that shroud. May not heat in cooler weather but will for sure when it gets hot or you[re pulling a grade.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fan is a lot more efficient with a shroud. The distance from your radiator to the fan requires the shroud to keep the fan from circulating air right around the fan. If the fan was within less than two inches of the radiator and not in a "doghouse" then you likely would be able to get by without it but a shroud would still make it work a lot better. That big gap is a real "fan killer" from a design standpoint.

    ReplyDelete