Our Travel House

Our Travel House
SEE THE USA

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

12-2-14 Enroute to engine change

12-1-14 Lots of details for Engine Swap
My friend, Phil, and I met up with Robert, the mechanic, at the salvage yard last Saturday to see the used 454 engine and to get an out the door price. The engine has 35K miles on it and is out of a 1983 motorhome per the Baldwin Auto Salvage yard owner, Juan, he said he heard it run before it was pulled and it ran strong. I'll pay for it today ($1150) and Robert will pick it up Wednesday with his truck.
Robert is now making arrangements for a place near us to do the work. His sister has 2 acres nearby, about 5 mls. He's trying his best to keep us near where we are at so I can drive there with no hassle. Gonna look like a big mosquito chaser going down the road ! That will save a lot versus towing.
I have been WD40'ing any nuts and bolts we need to remove and marking all the wires ahead of time. This will save time I hope.
As agreed with Robert, I'm picking up gaskets, oil & filter, etc today . ($150). I preordered all of it. Supposed to be ready at 1PM.
Looks like we're all set for Friday. Robert says 2 days for the work to be done.
12-2-14 Tuesday

I'm getting in to my “ more geeked out” mode as the day nears to get this engine changed. Bad habit from years ago. I'm over worrying and over thinking this whole thing ! I've never been very good at letting someone else do things for me. I really dislike being old! I was sitting here this morning and I suddenly remembered that I forgot anti-freeze yesterday ! BAM, there it was! *&%*....The shop I'm getting parts from didn't have a carburator gasket yesterday so I have to go there again tomorrow. I wonder what else will be forgotten ? I woke up a few times the last few nights with all of this on my mind.  

2 comments: