Our Travel House

Our Travel House
SEE THE USA

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Puttering ( in my mind ) -small stuff

We had rain most of the night. I really like the sound of rain on the RV roof. Hit the sack last night about 11PM and didn't blink until 0830 this morning. AHHH !!
My mind went to thinking before the coffee was done. I still have to make permanent connections to the replacemant starter solenoid wire. We've been starting the rig by touching the temporary wire to positive of the battery. Robert did trace out the wire to the firewall. It was a pink wire. Hey, that oughta be easy ! After coffee we got a break in the rain so I figured I'd give it a go. I tried to lookup a wiring schematic on the internet, hmmmm..no can find. I found Chevy trucks..Chevy cars...no P30 Chevy motorhomes. Oh-oh !! So I decided we'll do it the old way, with a DC light probe tester.
I told Ms. Heather I'd need help. She grinned and I thought she was going to get into work clothes and find her gloves and tie her beautiful hair back..WHOAH girl !!!...all I needed was a key turner ! Hahaha ! I really love her ambition ! I took the tester outside to the firewall passthru of the wires and stuck the probe into the wires one at a time and had her turn the key to the start position several times while I probed the “ pink wire “. Of course there were 3 of them ! Finally found the “start” wire and had her shut the key to off. Then I cut the old wire and spliced in the new wire we installed the other night. Now it was “ TEST” time ( insert drumroll here! ) The engine roared to life as it should..YAHOO ! Back to normal on the “ Start Circuit “ !
I still have a few more items to reinstall. We left the fan shroud off to allow for any leak adjustment that might be needed. It's simply impossible to access the radiator hoses and oil cooler hoses with it in place. I suspect the shroud is needed for temperature control as the fan is almost a foot away from the radiator. This is a simple job ( famous last words) but it was my decision. I want to run the engine several times up to temperature and retorque the hoses and exhaust manifold bolts before I reinstall the fan shroud and heat deflector. I also have to rehook up all the front lights. Oughta be easy as we marked all of them before disconnecting them. There's a few misc. wire to resplice too.
We'll spend a few weeks running the rig around the area and then enjoy the Holidays and RV Park festivities right here before we continue out Southbound venture.
REMEMBER, LIVE YOUR DREAMS AS TIME GOES BY QUICKLY !!
Charlie & Heather




1 comment:

  1. Read everyone of your blogs Charlie! We still have to hook up when you get close! That would be a blast! I had 6 more Stents inserted into my heart at the hospital on Thursday. I've now have 8 of them in there. Smoking is now the thing of the past for me, but a cold one every now and then isn't! Glad your starter is working fine! After Thursdays episode so is mine! Take care my friend and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete