Our Travel House

Our Travel House
SEE THE USA

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

1st run on new engine & damn brakes Mexico Beach

1-7-15 FIRST RUN FOR NEW ENGINE A-OKAY

We departed Wilderness CG in Alabama @ 1030. This is the 1st distance run for the new engine. Decided to keep off the Interstates and use some main roads to stay under 60MPH for this trial run. Of course I'm all geeked up and all my senses are in hyper gear. We already topped off the gas tank with mid grade yesterday. Not too bad a price either! Only $2.18/gal ! WOW !!
Nice normal trip, engine wise, no problems! Seems like our gas mileage was a lot better. Pedal response is flawless. So far so good.
HOWEVER !!! HMMMM!! We were in Panama City, Fl. And I think we hit every red light in town. We suddenly heard a schreeching sound from the front brakes! I couldn't believe is was brake pads as we just put them on before we left Michigan last September but ….I pulled over in a Walmart parking lot and the pedal went to the floor. OH-OH...checked underneath for any leaks and didn't find any..so I pumped 'em real hard and suddenly they were okay..can't have that! Researched the internet and found a shop so I called them and they said they could see us right away. I went to pull out and the brakes were dragging so I stopped, put her in reverse and backed up a bit while pumping the brakes and then they were okay..I hate on & off trouble!
We carefully meandered the 5miles to the repair shop and wouldn't you know it, the damn brakes seemed normal !
The mechanic heard my story and jacked us up and checked those damn brakes carefully. We pumped 'em and tried to create a leak by jammin' 'em on hard and nothing !! Yesah, NOTHING !! I had him bleed 'em, no air found. Now what??They're grabbin' and letting go as they should and seem fine. Yeah. Sure !! We pulled around his parking area and they're fine!! Damn Gremlins, I'm telling ya !! What'd that cost?? $95 !! Oh well, now I'm in a real turmoil.
So, down the road we go with me on edge every foot of the way. And ya know what? They worked just fine. HMMM....
Anywhos, we continued to Mexico Beach, FL and were all hooked up at 1845. Time for a beer ya betcha !! Of course I know what my dreamin' is gonna be about tonight..GRRRR !!
It's supposed to get cold tonight. There's a hard freeze warning between midnight and 0800..gonna take a nice hot shower and eat and disconnect the water line tonight,gotta sign in in the A.M. as the office was closed tonight when we pulled in. We've been to Rustic Sands RV Park before so we know the routine. Pick a spot and see 'em in the morning. FHUs & cable, Passport America rate $22/night.Only 1 night here and continue towards warmer weather.
REMEMBER, LIVE YOUR DREAMS AS TIME GOES BY QUICKLY !!


Charlie & Heather.

1 comment:

  1. It's great about the gas mileage! A few years ago, the front brakes on my truck locked up so I changed the caliper but it did the same thing. I took the caliper back to autozone 2 more times and then decided to go to o'reily's auto parts and get a better set. The guy there said that it was my brake hose if the calipers were still hanging up. He said that the hard plastic inside the hose will start to peel and it will block or restrict the flow of fluid from going back and forwards in the line and keep the calipers from working properly. Then again, if the brake pedal goes to floor without loss of fluid, it is the master cylinder going out. fred

    ReplyDelete