Our Travel House

Our Travel House
SEE THE USA

Monday, September 8, 2014

Time is flying...the last week in Houghton Lake, Mich.

WOW !! Hard to believe that August is gone already. It seems like we just got here. Many wonderful days and nights all month. Our moochdocking hosts, Jerry & Terra, have definitely made us feel at home.
Every Wednesday we've managed to visit with our friend Dora and stay camped in her yard. Have seen a lot of friends there too.
Heather & I started our full time adventure from Houghton Lake so it's our “homebase”. After many years here we made a lot of connections and so we have really enjoyed being here for over a month.
BUT.....
the hitch itch has started and the nights are getting cooler so it's that time of the year to migrate once again.
I'm guessing it'll take a week or two before we pull out of Michigan as we have plans to do some more visiting as we wind Southward. Mt Pleasant / Lansing / Croswell / Port Huron area are all good possibilities. Our regular blog readers know what a jello plan is like !
We managed to get a few field trips into our agenda while we were here. Visited Heather's dad, my friend Fred & family, took a camping trip at Reedsburg Dam Park.
My buddy Jerry put new rear brakes on the rig yesterday. It took almost all day. I got worn out watching him ! We checked the brakes before our out West trip about 2 years ago and those mountains really did a job on the pads. I was almost ashamed when he tore them down and we saw some cracks in the shoe pads and they were all worn really thin. He also installed all new return springs. Those rear wheel drums and the tires are really heavy and awkward to lift on & off, his back was talking to him today. In a few days he's going to check out the front brakes.
I've been “practicing” riding our, new to us, Honda Goldwing. It's been a few years since I rode a motorcycle and this one is a lot heavier than any I've driven. I've put on about 80 miles and I'm getting the hang of it. Jerry has a Goldwing and he's been playing Guardian Angel on the rides. I do believe I've seen a few smirks on his face while watching the “novice” !! I'm not as comfortable as one of my fellow bloggers, Retired Rod, is ,yet. (but I will be!!)
One of the big projects will be loading and fitting and tying down the 900# Goldwing in the trailer. I've got to install some heavy duty tie downs too. That oughta be interesting!
If I don't drive it thru the trailer I've got it made!! Of course there's the issue of unloading it too. Hmmmm!! How do you maintain balance while backing it down a ramp???
I made a trip to Home Depot to buy the gear to tie down the Goldwing in the trailer. I love Home Depot ! Wandered out about $40 poorer but I'm sure we will be able to secure the 900# beast. I'll post some before and after pictures when that project is done.
Yesterday my nose decided it was a good time to bleed. WTH is that all about?? I got a little concerned because it went on for hours. I checked my BP and it was normal for me. Finally about 6PM it stopped. Heather had to cook dinner due to this problem and I may have her do the grilling more often. We had grilled steak, campfire potatoes and our friend/host,Terra, made a nice pasta salad. Had a few people over for dinner and I was a bit embaressed with tissue up my nose, but it didn't interfere with my appetite.
On Sunday, our friend Dora is going to make up some snacks and we've invited a few close friends to meet up at The Back Door Saloon for a goodbye party. Parting is such sweet sorrow!
REMEMBER, LIVE YOUR DREAMS AS TIME GOES BY QUICKLY.


CHARLIE & HEATHER

No comments:

Post a Comment