Our Travel House

Our Travel House
SEE THE USA

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

11-26-14 HAPPY THANKSGIVING & we're thankful in Alabama

11-19-14 Robertsdale, Alabama
What happened to Southern good weather?? Last few days have been chilly. Night freezes. Mid 20's last night from 9PM til 9AM. The RV park had notices on everyone's door that the water would be off at 6PM. We made sure our onboard water tank was full. He water was back on at 9:30 in the morning.
There was a potluck dinner at the clubhouse last night so we went and met some more of our neighbors. Nice bunch of folks. Got back in the rig by 8PM and the walk back was cold! We had lowered the heat setting before we went to dinner and raised it immediately as we walked in the door. The furnace and the electric heater got a good workout last night. It was below freezing til 9AM, as predicted, but the sun is shining today so it'll warm up quickly. I'm looking forward to getting back to normal this weekgave.
To update our engine failure progress: I found a repair shop about ½ hr ride from here. Our new friend, Dave, gave us a ride to check out a MH for sale. It was a mess! The shop owner had it for sale. I asked him if he could replace our motor. Had a lengthy conversation with him and he said he'd research the possibility and call me in a few days with a quote. I walked around the shop and he definitely has the facility to do the work. He said we could campout there if he did the work. Time will tell. We're leaning more towards the idea of getting another MH even though I hate to do that after all the repairs and $$$ we've put into this one. Time will tell and we're not in any rush. We are in a great RV Park with FHU's and good neighbors.
The Goldwing starter has been replaced. I had to changeout the gear reciever for it too. I had a hell of a time getting that done ! When I pulled the starter a few weeks ago it came out easy, I cleaned up the armature and put new brushes in, it went back in easily. The starter then worked, but still wasn't right so I order a completely rebuilt one. Gonna be an easy out, easy in, Right? NO WAY. The new starter just wasn't gonna cooperated going back in. It came with a new gear reciever so I carefully replaced the gear. A feat in itself ! This gear is inside the case, inside a chain. My repair manual says ya gotta pull the engine to do that. HA !! Of course the repair manual say ya gotta pull the engine to replace the starter too! I held the chain by fingers and used an offset needle nose to pluck out the gear and to install the new one. I found a couple Youtube videos to show the repairs and so I proceeded. Success followed..back in business again. Some times I wonder who writes those manuals. It sure makes the dealers a lot of moola!! Hmmmm !!
11-26-14 Wednesday
Re: Motorhome engine repairs...The previous comments re: the shop I was at the other day fizzled out ! The guy never called me back and doesn't answer the phone or texts. So much for his story about wanting to make $$$ for his daughter's college bill. Oh well !! We've got an old friend that lives 25 miles South of us in Foley, Al. And he gave me a few leads. I put an ad for a “mechanic wanted” on Craigslist and a fellow named Robert called me this morning. I'll go and meet him after Thanksgiving and check it out. I've located an engine and it just so happens that Robert has dealt with the place before. I think (cautiously) that this all sounds like it may work out. I hope so.
Tomorrow is Turkey day. The RV Park has a big dinner planned. I wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving. I know we have a lot to be thankful for !!
REMEMBER, LIVE YOUR DREAMS AS TIME GOES BY QUICKLY !!!
Charlie & Heather


1 comment:

  1. I have a 454 in a 1989 Winnebago Chiefton...123,000 miles and still runs good. I have so much money into it that if the motor goes when traveling think I might order a new motor and have it done at a qualified garage. I have been stung already by some ......
    Good luck on your decision.
    Andrea in Minnesota

    ReplyDelete