Our Travel House

Our Travel House
SEE THE USA

Thursday, November 13, 2014

11-12 & 13-14 PLANNING THE FIX

11-12-14 PLANNING THE FIX !!
I've been chatting with our neighbors at Wilderness CG about our failed engine problem. Got some new leads going. I sure pray that some of them pan out! Of course I know talk is cheap.
I expect the new starter for the Goldwing to be here in a day or two. It'll only takes 1 hr to install it. Then, I will be able to chase down some of the leads I've been given..
I've located a few engines under $1000, now I need a mechanic that is priced fairly. My first few calls made me laugh at their quotes for labor ( $6 to 9K). If I was home I'd change this engine out in less than 3 days at 8 hours a day. I'd put a fair price at $2000 for labor. Not bad for a few days work. I really believe repair people today overcharge tremendously! I see the RV dealers and many mechanics charging upwards of $150+/hr. How do they expect anyone to afford their work?? Then you couple in the stupid hours they estimate. A 24hr job is quoted 60hrs. Rip off !! I've wrenched on a lot of stuff and I know these charges are robbery. Now I now a lot of people will disagree with my thinking but my logic has gotten me this far so I won't change my ways of thinking. Good, honest deals are always around the corner if you look hard enough. ( I always tip well too!)
11-13-14 Thursday
The Goldwing starter got delivered yesterday. Wow, that was fast. California to Alabama in 3 days. Now all I need is for the rain to stop so I can do the changeout. Our weather is supposed to be crappy for a few days. I'll just wait impatiently !! It's a bit cool to use the shower house ( no heat) so we'll just use our rig's conveniences. It got down to 42F last night. A bit cool for South Alabama ! It may be cooler for 4 days but it's going to warm up by Monday. Looks like a lot of reading for a few days and some TV (ukkk!).


3 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well for you and you find just the right mechanic to fix it reasonably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! Kinda tuff when you're not from the area!! Thanx !!

      Delete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving Charlie and Heather, I hope your engine plans get resolved soon. We here in Minnesota will experience the coldest bird day in 30 years. It will be a high of 7 degrees tomorrow! Yikes! Talk about frozen turkey dinners! Be well my friends!

    ReplyDelete