Our Travel House

Our Travel House
SEE THE USA

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Trailer axle replaced.





Kind of a cooler day for Matlacha (mat-la-shay). Woke up to 64F. This necessitated a sweat shirt. (Florida's version of long johns). I decided it'd be a good day to replace the "new" trailer axle. Did I mention we had a "problem" with our new, "made in Michigan" 14' enclosed  trailer? We purchased it last Oct  and it's great to haul our extra gear. We noticed enrt to Florida that the wheels were seeming to bend inwards, by the time we got into South Florida they were really bent in and the tires were seriously scuffed on the inside tread. Not good ! Upon further investigation we determined the axle had bent. I had weighed the trailer befor we embarked and it's only 2840#'s by itself and it transfers 400#'s to our motorhome when hitched up. The trailer then weighed 2440 and it's rated for 3000#'s. WTF?? The other day I removed the axle and found a tag on it that says 3000#'s, made in China. Even though the trailer has a warranty I decided I wasn't gonna open that can of worms. Found an axle at Northern Tools, rated 3500#'s for $130. After a few trips for parts and some custom welding modifications I was ready to change it out. It only took about 2 hours and everything was back in order and ready to roll. It's fun trying to get a project done in the park as everyone stops by and a lot of chit chat takes place about the project. Never ceases to amaze me how many sidewalk superintendents are available for any given project !!  LOL..
   After all that "work" ( getting to hate that word) I was hungry so it was time to make Charlie's "world famous chili" to warm up the chilled bones. Noticed that everyone in the park was staying inside as Floridians are allergic to cooler weather. Chili was done about 5PM. Called a few friends and ate. Man, I make good chili. Of course a nap was in order. Slept a good 2 hours. AAHHH!!! I'm never gonna claim that my chili will make anyone socially acceptable! (if ya know what I mean).
   Warmer weather is coming back next week. In the meantime I'll take the 65F.
Hope everyone is warm and snuggly and healthy and safe.
  REMEMBER, LIVE YOUR DREAMS AS TIME GOES BY QUICKLY. Charlie & Heather 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment